STUDENT TEACHING: FCCLA competes in Waco, Smith heads to state with teaching program

The FCCLA team from left: teacher Christy Lucas, senior Brittany Smith, and chef Jennifer Gorell.

ISABELL RAMIREZ and RANDY SERRANO

The members of the FCCLA group competed at regionals in Waco on Feb 4-6. They started a taco stand to earn money to pay for food and hotel to be able to send four students to compete at regionals, and one qualified for state.

FCCLA offers competitive events for students similar to UIL.  Students have over 40 categories they can choose to compete in. This year Kaufman had four students sign up to compete.

Senior Brittney Smith selected “Teach and Train.”  In this category she had to create a lesson plan, present it to a group of students and create a portfolio of her teaching experience.  Smith had the opportunity to teach third graders in Mrs. Gutierrez’s class at Phillips Elementary. She worked with Gutierrez to find out what they were learning and then came up with a lesson.  She took that lesson and displayed it to two judges at the competition. Smith took first place in her category and will compete at state on April 7 – 9 in Dallas.

“My favorite part about FCCLA is all of the different kind of people you meet,” Smith says. “You meet such great friends that will last a lifetime, and great mentors that teach you more then you could ever think about. I love all of my new friends that have become more than just friends since I have gotten into FCCLA.”

Freshman Natalie Bennett and Kelsie Evans competed in FCCLA Achievement tests.  This category allows students to take a placement test in different categories.  Both girls took tests in the Child Development Field. Bennett received a gold medal, and Evans received a silver medal.

Sophomore Talon Davis entered the Recycle and Redesign category.  For this, she had to take something and recreate it into something new. Davis took an old dress and Coke tabs to create a brand new dress.

“Although she did not advance to state, she did an amazing job at regionals,” FCCLA adviser Christy Lucas said. Smith will travel to Dallas to compete for state on April 7 – 9.