KING OF THE STAGE: New theater teacher takes over, students prepare for One Act Play

Alicia King watches the movements and actions of the actors as they perform a nonvocal run through.  The girls sit in their beginning positions waiting for the lights to come on.  Pretending to live the daily life of a Balkan woman, they play with their hair, clean their house, or talk to one another, but with no sound. A gunshot fires and soldiers run in and beat them, dragging them by their hair and taking them to camps. Parts of this happens in slow motion to capture the fear and anger in everyone’s eyes.

King, who is new to KHS this year,  found her love for theater when she tried out for her first One Act play in sixth grade. She immediately fell in love with being on stage. Her plans for Kaufman theater are to hopefully advance past district in One Act Play this year and perform a big musical in the fall. The play, “The Balkan Women,” will be performed by her manestage in Mabank on March 24.

“Growing student interest and teaching the art of theater is a priority,” King said.

Theater teacher Alecia King at the stage.

King grew up in Longview and New Boston. She went to college and earned a bachelor’s degree at Southwestern Assemblies of God University in Waxahachie.

King founded the theater program at Inspired Vision, in Dallas. She was only there for a year before coming to Kaufman. She loves that everyone is so passionate about theater.

“Everyone is friendly and willing to help you out no matter what,” she said of her new school.

In her free time, King enjoys working out, playing with her kids, and going on dates with her husband. Her daughter, Haven, is 2 years old and her son, Trenton Jr., 1.

Students have expressed their admiration for King and her class.

“She is nice, organized, and works hard,” said junior Tristyn Gentry. “She doesn’t let her students run over her.”

Many students believe that Mrs. King has everything going on the right track.

“She is an amazing theater teacher and pushes us to be better actors and actresses,” said junior Ashton Odem. “And she thrives for greatness.”