X MARKS THE SPOT IN D-39: KHS welcomes new algebra teacher Sonya Burleson

CHLOE MARTINEZ and KELLEY PERRY

Classroom D-39 is a bit plain right now, but it’s a classroom full of learning. On an average day, new algebra teacher Sonya Burleson’s board is full of equations, a clutter of Xs and Ys as students write and take notes. This is her first year here at KHS.

Burleson says she had a great childhood. She was born in Louisiana, she later moved to East Texas, and  graduated from Tyler Chapel Hill High School. She has three siblings, and Sonya is the oldest. Her father was a football coach so they moved around a lot, but they’re all really close.

Two years ago, Burleson moved from Pittsburg, Texas, and is married to football and track coach Jeremy Burleson. They’ve been married 15 years in November, and have three children.

For nine years Burleson has been teaching, but algebra isn’t the only thing she has taught. She has taught other math classes and chemistry.

Burleson enjoyed school when she was a child, her younger teachers is what inspired her to become an educator. They made her learning experience fun and she wants to do the same for her students.

“I like it, it’s been fun,” she said of her first months at KHS. “I have good classes, but it’s going by fast.”

Not only does Burleson teach at the high school, she also helps out at the junior high as a volleyball coach and with junior high and high school track.

Hobbies of Burleson’s include watching college football and running. Also, she likes to spend time with her family and cook dishes like enchiladas, seafood, and baked goods.

Burleson is enjoying her new freshman algebra classes at KHS, and no doubt these students will be solving many equations throughout their coming high school years.