HIT THE HALF-PIPE: A look at Kaufman skateboarding scene

About three weeks ago just around midnight, a few friends had been working on a new trick and after four hours of trying and trying they landed it. Although, one of them broke their skateboard  and was rushed to the hospital that’s when they knew they loved to skate.

The skateboarding world is challenging physically, and it’s a hobby taken up by many KHS students.  

Sophomore Ryan Rogers started skating around four years ago, and believes skating is a good way to relieve stress.

“It takes my mind off of things,” he says

Rogers says his “go to trick” is the viral kickflip, in which the board spins frontwards 180 degrees and then downwards 360 degrees. His favorite place to skate is around his neighborhood, which has a completely flat surface.

Sophomore Kasey Cherry started skating around the beginning of last year. His favorite move is the Ollie Bigspin, in which a skater does a 360 “shuvit” (the board spins in a 180 behind you in the air) with a body viral (board spins frontwards 180 degrees and then downwards 360 degrees) in the same direction. He likes to skate anywhere around Kaufman.

“It’s fun, exhilarating, and the best thing ever,” Cherry says.

Former KHS student Dustin Davis says his favorite place to skate is also around his neighborhood.

“It helps get my anger out and it’s cool,” he says.

Sophomore Caleb Williams skating on a culvert in Kaufman.

Skateboarding has been around since 1904, but the more commonly accepted skateboard was created in 1930. Recognizable skateboards were first manufactured in the late 1950s. Skateboards became popular among surfing enthusiasts, primarily in California. Skateboarding, as we know it, was probably born sometime in the late ‘40s, or early ‘50s, when surfers in California wanted something to do when the waves were flat. Surfers actually practiced on skateboards when the waves were too rough, they called it sidewalk surfing. It first became popular in small cities in California; small cities like Kaufman.

The activity provides many benefits such as flexibility, offers full body workout, physical endurance, teaches precision, improves coordination, calorie burning, crossover sport, patience, learning to fall,and stress relief.

Overall, skateboarding is a fun activity that is friendly and is open to do at anytime!

SKATEBOARDING EXTRA 

Skateboarding consists of of three parts: the deck (the actual board); the truck (a component usually made of metal that holds the wheels to the deck); and the wheels (usually made out of a hard rubber). An average skateboard is about 32 inches long and 8 inches wide and a little less than half an inch thick. The cost of an average board is $30-$100.

1 Comment

One Response to “HIT THE HALF-PIPE: A look at Kaufman skateboarding scene”

1. tristen harrison on December 3rd, 2015 2:05 pm

GREAT STORY.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.