MAKING IT BIG: Drill team officers lead the way for Lionettes

ALLYSON KRENEK, Staff writer

It’s Friday night and the lights are shining bright on the Kaufman football field during halftime. The Lionettes are ready for their performance. They strut out onto the field, and get to their spots, and the officers are announced. The stadium goes silent, the band plays, and the Lionettes start kicking their hats and hitting their splits for another knock out performance.The officers are a big part of the drill team and they push the girls to be the best the can be.

The Lionettes have three officers and one captain: Senior Captain Katelyn Chandler, junior First Lieutenant Mia Moretti, junior Second Lieutenant Priscilla Lopez, and junior Third Lieutenant Bailey Lawson. These leaders are passionate about the drill team.

The Lionettes have already had an eventful year. During the summer, they only had a few weeks to themselves before they had workout camp and technique camp with one of the TVCC Cardette’s dance team director who came and taught them a few dance routines. Before all of the workout camps and technique camps, the officers go to a dance camp and learn a few dances to teach the team for their performances. In July they had a camping trip for the weekend and did some team building exercises. Then in August, they had a hotel team camp where they went to a hotel for the weekend in Plano and learned a few dances for this season. The girls try to keep positive attitudes throughout the year.

“This year is going phenomenal so far and they are really looking forward to this year” Lopez said.

Traditions are a big part of drill team and the Lionettes have quite a few. For every football game they have a prayer circle before they go on to perform at halftime, while they are still in the circle they do a spirit squeeze which is wear they one person squeezes the next person’s hand and they pass it around the circle.

Also during football season, the officers nominate one girl on the team that has shown leadership and has had a positive attitude all week. During competition season they give out pixie sticks to give them energy. All year the girls have a gratitude board where they write a short note to someone on the team and pin it to their name on the board and they read them on the bus ride to games during football season or after practice the rest of the year.

“ I really like the gratitude board because it helps us bond as a team and share stuff with other team mates” Chandler said.

Chandler made lieutenant her sophomore year and captain as a junior and senior. She had only had two years of dance experience before making officer. Moretti made second lieutenant her sophomore year and first lieutenant this year with about seven years of dance. Lopez made social officer her sophomore year and second lieutenant this year with three to four years of previous dance experience. Lawson made lieutenant this year with about ten years of dance experience.

From teaching dances to helping one of the girls out when they need it, Lionette officers show passion in the team. Every year there are different challenges within and outside the team. The officers are ready to face the challenges no matter how big. The officers will be willing to help the team and school in any way possible.  

“I am very blessed to be an officer for this team and can’t wait for this year” Moretti said.