AWARD WINNER: Student writer earns statewide recognition

The UIL announced this week that junior Courtney Bull finished third in the Lone Star Writing Contest among all 1A-4A schools.

The award is a partnership between the Texas Press Association and Interscholastic Press Association (UIL) and is open to young writers who had one of their stories published in a newspaper.

“Winning was a great validation for me that I really do have a talent for something I love,” Bull said. “I never thought in a million years I would be capable of doing something like this, I’m just very grateful for the opportunity and everyone who helped me get here.”

Bull won for her story that appeared in the Kaufman Herald in the fall about KHS’s Teacher of the Year Vanessa Olgreen and her son Alex’s battle with cancer.

“Courtney is a great student and a huge part of our journalism and yearbook program,” yearbook and newspaper adviser Sean Chaffin said. “I am immensely proud of her efforts. This was really a big award.”

For her efforts, Bull was awarded a certificate and a check for $75. The contest only awards three students in the small school division (1A-4A) and three in the large school (5A-6A).

Besides working on the KHS yearbook and newspaper, Bull also competes in UIL journalism and has been a regional qualifier her freshman and sophomore years.

“Her achievement will definitely be our newspaper and yearbook page in the yearbook!,” Chaffin said.

Here is a link to the story from BlckandGoldLions.com.