CAPTAIN OF THE SHIP: Katelyn Chandler leads Lionettes on the field and in competition

Back to Article
Back to Article

Drill captain Katelyn Chandler telling the Lionettes to get ready.

It’s Friday and Katelyn Chandler has early morning Lionettes practice at 6:45 a.m. on the field – so she wakes up early that morning to do her hair and makeup for the pep rally.  In practice, the girls run the routine they are performing that night at the football game to make sure it looks good, then they dress and gather their equipment for the rally. Her role involves checking on the squad and making sure everything is lined up. After school, Chandler fixes or redoes her hair and makeup if needed. She gets dressed then she takes roll of the team – making sure everyone is there on time. Then she leads the team out to the stands – usually losing her voice by the end of the night.

Like the other officers of the Kaufman Lionettes, Chandler takes on many challenges leading the group. The officers have big responsibilities including preparing the Lionettes for football games on Friday nights, contests, and spring show.

“My favorite part about drill team is when we walk on to the field and I see everyone watching and cheering for us,” said Chandler, a junior.

Chandler started dancing in eighth grade when she tried out for the junior high Lionettes. Later on, she tried out for the high school Lionettes and was just a line member her freshman year. Her sophomore year, she made second lieutenant and made captain her junior year.

After she graduates high school, Chandler plans to go to a junior college to be a member of the renowned Rangerettes dance team at Kilgore College, then she wants to be transferred over to Stephen F. Austin University. While there, she wants to try out for the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders and if she doesn’t make it she wants to open her own dance studio. She would also like to get a degree in psychology.

Chandler has won many awards throughout her years in high school. She has made Miss High Kick five times in a row – she has quite the kick adding: “I can kick my face!”