MENTAL MARVELS: UIL team ready for season

JARIZA PEDROZA, Staff writer

UIL is approaching, and there are 17 academic events from which students can choose to compete in this year. The team’s first competition is set for Dec. 10 in Ennis.

If students are interested in joining, they can speak to UIL coordinators Cory Smith or Holly Kenneally or any of the other UIL coaches about their interests and they will direct them to the academic coach so they can sign up. It’s not too late to get involved.

“UIL is fun because of the brotherhood that our entire academic team and coaches embodies,” said Smith. “We cheer on one another, congratulate one another, and help one another. If you’re not in UIL, you ought to be.” 

Last year, there were a total of 21 students with 14 seniors – meaning 66 percent of the team graduated. This year will be based on rebuilding the team, Smith said, and encouraged more students to get involved.

UIL has several advantages from going on fun overnight trips at regionals and star, being able to win scholarships if you make it to the state meets, and the thrill of winning at a competition. The team has won the district championship for three years in a  row and has sent several competitors to regionals and state.

“I really enjoy UIL, I feel I have gotten to bond with people that share the same passion as me and that’s really cool,” said Courtney Bull, who competes in journalism and debate. “I love my whole team and cannot wait to dominate this UIL competition season once again!”