CONSTRUCTION CALORIE CRUNCH: Long walks lead to better health; 2 KHS students take the challenge

ISAAC ROMERO, Staff writer

Long walks around the school are a popular topic among many students around KHS, so Black and Gold asked two 10th graders, Tristan Gutierrez and Aiden Macias, to keep track of their every step and calories.

Neither Gutierrez or Macias enjoy the daily walks.

“The walks are way too long due to the construction,” Gutierrez said. “It’s way too hot and there is hardly any protection from the weather.”

Gutierrez didn’t like the walks through the obstacles and construction of the school at all.

“It takes me too long to get to the cafeteria, which is where most of my classes are and to get to the next period or class on time,” Macias said.

Tristan Gutierrez was surprised at the number of calories he burns each day walking.

Gutierrez and Macias kept track of their calories they have lost in the process from the time they got off the school bus until the end of the day at 3:45 p.m.

Gutierrez showed that his walking distance was 8,510 steps which is 1.47 miles and lost 227.7 calories in the process.

Macias showed 7,013 steps which is 1.21 miles and lost 190.1 calories in the process of their 1 day walk.

Both Gutierrez and Macias were surprised about how many calories and miles they walked.

KHS students may not realize those long walks can be a workout and help stay in shape.

Gutierrez added: “I really didn’t know we walked that much everyday.”