NEW SHERIFF IN TOWN: Keith takes over as new KHS principal

KATIE GOOD, Staff writer

Amy Keith has taken the reigns at KHS as the new principal. Keith says she feels her leadership skills and experience make her a suitable leader for the students and the staff.

Keith was born in 1976 and raised in Lake Charles, La., along with two brothers. She attended Barb High School and graduated in the top 10 percent of her class. Shortly after, she enrolled in Louisiana Tech with plans to major in business. Keith soon changed her mind, however, and began her career in education as a teacher in Big Sandy.

After years of teaching and working in administration, one convincing phone call from the former Norman Junior High principal, Jeri Ann Campbell, brought her to Kaufman.

Keith explains that her arrival has been a mutual blessing. She loves the small town of Kaufman for its strong community and friendly nature. Not only has she fallen in love with the town, but the high school itself. Keith can be found at many school events in high spirits.

“It’s fun watching our kids perform outside of the classroom,” said Keith.

Watching her students progress and successfully do what they love is one of the best parts of her job. However, a job in administration has its hardships. With such big decisions to make, it is impossible to please everyone.

Although a job in administration can be stressful, Keith admits that she always keeps the best interest of her students in mind.