KICKS & SPLITS: New Lionettes director Crystal Thompson pleased to join dance squad

JAIDYN MCCOY and JESSICA PATTERSON

KHS welcomed new Lionettes director Crystal Thompson this summer as Robin Summers took a job in Royse City closer to her family.

“I am very excited to work with the Lionettes, and become a part of their family,” Thompson said.

Thompson, who previously served as director of the Brownsboro drill team, has worked with the dancers for a few years at camps and was glad that she could take over after Summers left.

“ I hope to help the team grow in all aspects of life,” she said. “I like that my team can have fun together and that they have close friendships.”

Thompson grew up in Fort Worth most her life and then her father took a job in Missouri and she lived there for awhile. She moved back to Texas and went to school in Fort Worth. Thompson was on the drill team at Trinity High School for three years, and that’s when she discovered her passion for teaching.

After high school, Thompson went to Tarrant County College to get her associate’s degree, then transferred to the University of Texas in Arlington and earned her bachelor’s of science and kinesiology pedagogy.

After college, Thompson became a teacher and met her future husband. They were together for about six years before they were married in November of 2015. Their jobs moved them out to East Texas. They currently have two “dog children,” as she describes them, named Coco and Ranger. She hopes to have children in the future.

“I like Kaufman, it’s a nice change and it’s closer to my family,” she said. “I’m really excited to be here.”

Thompson also teaches the junior high Lionettes and high school PE classes. She says teaching two teams is challenging but worth it.

“I like for my students to be positive and ready to grow in their physical and mental health.”